1. Start young, practice religiously, live, eat and sleep your “band”.
2. Develop a complex and constantly evolving mythos, one that paints you as both magical heroes of old brought forth to pass along divine wisdom, and as Creators of said myth and legend.
3. We talkin’ bout practice, mane… Practice endlessly, devote yourself with Shamanic discipline, create music that defies definition and scope, and just when you think people might be able to have expectations, pivot and go harder in the opposite direction.
4. Be Funny and well read. Use vocabulary that requires the audience be learned and engaged. Be ever vigilant in your concoction of musical theatrics, and in your own continued education.
5. Systematically tackle and master every form of music, no matter how foreign or obscure. Use household objects as instruments. Don’t just play the spoons, play the forks, knives and spatulas as well. Have you tried the Electrolux? Maybe that could be a funny bit?
6. Play as many shows as possible, insisting that each be better than the last. One Up yourself, a thousand times over, then do it again. Document Everything. Always. Record.
7. Take everything the music industry wants and needs in a band and throw it out of the window. Abandon all styles and current trends in both grooming and wardrobe. Embrace your role as the Anti-Sex Symbol, reject every notion to be on MusicTeleVision. If you do make a video, put your dog in a fishbowl.
8. Create cities, an Oasis of Bliss where all cares are left at the door…be on the forefront of technology, engross yourselves in the perfect “concert” experience. All the while placing the music, sound and experience at the top of your priorities. Get Skyscrapers that sing a pretty tune.
9. Pay homage to those before you. Play songs that speak to surroundings, play music that speak to the soul. Become a hose. Then spray.
10. Thrive and strive, fly too high, recharge, rewind and restart, retire, Return. Like Gandalf the White, return from the shadows and Remain Suffused, to the cause of Light.